Are you curious about the seven chakras and how they impact you in your daily life? Well, you’ve come to the right place to learn everything there is to know about chakras and their influence on your wellbeing!
Chakras are energy centers in the body that significantly impact your mental, emotional, and physical health. The seven primary chakras go along the spine. These include the Root Chakra, Sacral Chakra, Solar Plexus Chakra, Heart Chakra, Throat Chakra, Third Eye Chakra, and the Crown Chakra.
Below we will go over what each of the seven chakras represents and their location in the body. Then, we will look at some signs that your chakras are blocked and ways to fix them.
Chakras are energy centers in the body that are positioned near significant organs and nerve bundles. Seven main chakras go along the spine. However, there may be as many as 114 chakras throughout the body.
Each chakra impacts your mental, physical, and emotional health. When your chakras are balanced, meaning they are functioning correctly, you will feel good, both internally and externally. However, when your chakras become unbalanced, you may experience some negative symptoms pertaining to the blocked chakras.
The Root Chakra is one of the most important chakras in the body. Often, it is referred to as the “fundamental chakra” or the Mooladhara Chakra in Sanskrit.
The Root Chakra is located at the base of your spine. It impacts your lower back, hips, legs, and sexual organs. It also affects the urinary system, serving to keep it healthy and properly functioning.
The Root Chakra influences all of your basic needs in life. It helps you seek out necessary items for survival, including water, food, and shelter.
Additionally, it impacts your basic instincts, especially your fight-or-flight mode and your drive to reproduce sexually.
Other than survival, the first chakra also plays a role in your ability to feel secure. It supports your ability to feel grounded, calm, and whole.
Additionally, it guides your creativity, vitality, and passion for life, giving you the sense that life is worth living. Lastly, it helps you feel secure in yourself to face any challenges that life throws your way.
The color red represents the Root Chakra. Red is the most stimulating color, yet it has the slowest wavelengths on the visible spectrum. It can direct your attention by drawing your focus towards it.
Red is the color of danger, blood, and one of the first colors you saw when entering this world. It is an important color representing your survival instincts and your ability to avoid danger and seek security.
The Sacral Chakra, or Swadhisthana Chakra in Sanskrit, is the second chakra in the body. It focuses on sexuality, relationships, and personal identity.
The Sacral Chakra is located right below your belly button. It is connected with your large intestines, bladder, kidneys, lymphatic system, and sexual organs if you are a woman.
The second chakra allows you to form your own identity while also maintaining past relationships and friendships. It permits you to find your unique hobbies and interests without losing your past self. It also gives you the ability to bounce back and recover when things in life don’t go as planned.
Additionally, the Sacral Chakra is known to be the house of sexuality. It encourages sexual discovery by permitting you to explore yourself erotically and understand your seductive force in the world.
Lastly, the Sacral Chakra promotes creativity and finding passion in everyday life. Whether you try new food, travel to a beautiful location, or look at a stunning piece of art, the sacral chakra encourages you to feel pleasure and bliss when interacting with the stimulating object.
The color orange represents the Sacral Chakra. Orange is a lively, pleasant color that encourages you to explore new things in the world and simply enjoy the human experience. It permits you to seek out your passions and find joy in life in both sexual and non-sexual ways.
The Solar Plexus Chakra is the third chakra in the body. It is called Manipura in Sanskrit, which roughly translates to “lustrous gem.”
The third chakra is located right above the belly button, near your upper abdomen. Due to its location, it has a significant impact on the digestive system. When the Solar Plexus Chakra is balanced, food quickly passes through your system with no pain or discomfort.
The Solar Plexus Chakra permits you to feel powerful and confident. This chakra provides you with the self-esteem and self-belief you need to go after your dreams. When this chakra is aligned, you’ll be able to achieve great personal and professional success.
Additionally, the third chakra plays a role in your motivation. It gives you a sense of purpose to continually strive for the things you want in life.
Whenever you feel motivated to achieve something, the third chakra is at work. The Solar Plexus chakra also helps make your goals and intentions clear. It gives you direction to precisely determine what you want in life so that you can go after it.
Lastly, if you are ever having trouble making a tough decision, this chakra can guide you toward optimal choice. Simply direct your attention to your Solar Plexus chakra and focus on the gut feeling it gives you. Doing this will point you in the right direction whenever you’re at a crossroads.
The color yellow represents the Solar Plexus Chakra. Yellow symbolizes energy and power.
It is a bold color that may make you feel more confident and self-assured whenever you are near it. Additionally, it is associated with the sun, which is bright, powerful, and direct. Like the sun, the color yellow may inspire you to embody all of these traits.
The Heart Chakra, or Anahata in Sanskrit, is the fourth energy center in the body. This chakra is all about love and compassion for yourself and others.
The Heart Chakra is located in your chest near your heart. It is connected to various glands, including the lymph and thymus glands. It also impacts the heart itself, helping to keep it healthy and strong.
The Heart Chakra is focused on love and relationships. It permits you to have healthy, happy relationships with your friends, family, co-workers, and romantic partner. When it is aligned, you can express your love for others and receive love without fear or denial.
Additionally, this chakra promotes forgiveness. When you are emotionally wounded by the ones you love, the Heart Chakra gives you the power to release any negative feelings and move on. It also allows you to let go of bad relationships of your past that no longer serve your present self.
This powerful chakra also permits us to feel our emotions to the fullest, without holding back. As an adult, you may think you have to repress your feelings or not fully express them.
However, when this chakra is balanced, it permits you to let go of your fear so you can laugh, cry, and love with your whole heart. No holding back!
While many people think the color pink represents the Heart Chakra, it is actually associated with the color green. Green is a color often affiliated with life and growth. In relationships, green represents our ability to grow our bonds with others to make our relationships more substantial and more secure.
Additionally, green is associated with harmony, balance, and a willingness to forgive. It permits you to move past bad relationships to find “greener pastures.” Green is also associated with growing up and learning to recognize your good relationships and those you need to let go of.
When the Heart Chakra is unbalanced, the color green also represents jealousy and indifference towards others. You’ve likely heard of the “little green monster” that comes out in relationships if you become overly possessive of your partner. If you don’t rebalance your heart chakra, green will turn from a color of love and growth to one of envy and resentment.
The Throat Chakra, or the Vishuddhi Chakra in Sanskrit, is the body’s fifth energy center. It is all about being your most authentic self and letting out your inner voice.
The Throat Chakra is located in the neck area of the body. It is connected with surrounding body parts, including the jaws, mouth, teeth, ears, and shoulders.
The Throat Chakra influences your ability to communicate effectively. When this chakra is functioning correctly, you can effortlessly share your ideas with others. Additionally, this chakra affects your ability to “read the room,” so you know when it’s time to talk and when it’s time to listen.
Another essential functioning of the Throat Chakra is creative expression. It permits you to share your artistic talents with others and to inspire them with your creative energy. Whether you have a beautiful voice, a fantastic writer or poet, or excellent acting skills, this chakra permits you to express your talent without holding back.
Lastly, this chakra impacts your ability to be authentic. When it’s aligned, you won’t be afraid to express your true self, revealing your genuine thoughts and ideas. When others say things you disagree with or think are unjust, this chakra encourages you to express yourself and share your truth.
The color blue represents the Throat Chakra. This color has a calming effect on the body that may make you feel more open and honest.
The color blue is also associated with empathy and understanding the thoughts and feelings of others. When you see this color, you may feel creatively inspired.
The Third-Eye Chakra is the sixth energy center in the body. It is called Anja in Sanskrit, which means “command” or “perceiving.”
The sixth chakra is located in the middle of your forehead, between your eyebrows. It is connected to the pineal and pituitary glands. It also impacts the thyroid gland, which significantly affects your metabolism. Additionally, it affects the brain. It can impact your conscious and subconscious thoughts, as well as your mental state.
The Third Eye Chakra is focused on intuition, open-mindedness, and truth. When this chakra is balanced, you’ll be able to detach yourself from your everyday fears and insecurities so that you can see greater truths. It also permits you to reflect on your thoughts and feelings to understand yourself better and who you are in the world.
Additionally, this chakra permits you to see things from a new perspective. When this chakra is activated, you won’t think about things in terms of black or white, good or bad.
Instead, you’ll be able to see the grey area and understand that everything in life isn’t as straightforward as it may appear. This quality makes you more empathetic since you’ll be able to understand people who undertake different actions and live in a different situation than you do.
The sixth chakra also has a powerful influence on your mind. It can integrate the creative and logical hemispheres of your brain, making you balanced and whole.
When the opposing parts of your being are combined and used in conjunction, you obtain a higher level of enlightenment and understanding than when you only activate one part of your consciousness. Therefore, the Third Eye Chakra makes you more intuitive and wise.
The color indigo represents the Third Eye Chakra. Indigo is an otherworldly color that can connect you with your spiritual side. This color encourages you to think intuitively and to see things more clearly.
When you surround yourself with indigo, you may feel more spiritual. You’ll also feel incredibly insightful, to the point of feeling psychic. Being around indigo may also make you have more intense dreams, often relating to your subconscious thoughts.
The Crown Chakra is the seventh chakra in the body. It is referred to as Sahasrara in Sanskrit, which translates to “the bridge to the cosmos.”
The Crown Chakra resides just above the head, outside of the physical body. It radiates upwards like a crown, which is why it was given its name. Since the Crown Chakra is not actually inside you, it is not associated with any physical body parts or regions.
The Crown Chakra promotes enlightenment. It can heighten your consciousness to help you understand the sacred and spiritual things in the world.
It enables you to transcend your limits to become something greater than you could have ever imagined. When you tap into the Crown Chakra’s power, you become aware of the universe and the connection between all living things.
Additionally, this chakra permits you to feel true bliss. Your crown chakra promotes gratefulness and makes you feel happy and appreciative of your time in this world.
It allows you to notice the beauty in the small things in life, such as a budding flower or subtle smell after it rains. This chakra teaches you that everything in life is meaningful and sacred.
The color violet typically represents the Crown Chakra. Violet has the shortest wavelength of any of the colors on the visible spectrum. Yet, it also has the highest vibration, making it a very impactful color.
When you see violet, you may feel a more profound sense of knowing or a greater connection with the spiritual world. Additionally, violet is very illuminating, so viewing it may awaken parts of yourself that you’ve never activated before.
Many people also feel a greater connection with other beings when they view the color violet. This powerful color encourages interconnectedness between all living things and the surrounding universe.
When your chakra becomes imbalanced, they either receive too much energy or too little energy, which leads to different outcomes.
When one of your chakras is overactive, you’ll express the traits associated with that chakra more than any other characteristics. These traits often become overbearing and take over your personality.
On the other hand, when your chakra is underactive, you don’t display the traits associated with that chakra strongly enough. You may find it difficult or even impossible to express particular qualities, which can negatively impact your life.
An unbalanced chakra can also take a toll on your physical health. You may experience pain or disease near the affected chakras located in the body.
Next, we’ll go over specific signs you can look out for to determine if one of your chakras is out of whack.
Root Chakra Imbalance
Listed below are the top symptoms you may feel when your Root Chakra is unaligned:
- Insecurity in yourself and your relationships. People you used to trust may not seem reliable anymore. Additionally, you may not feel sure of yourself. You might start to second guess every thought you have and every decision you make.
- Financial instability. You may have trouble with money or experience problems at work. You might be worried about losing your job or another source of income in your life. Additionally, you may be overly reckless with your money and spend outside of your means.
- Hoarding behaviors. You may notice yourself collecting large amounts of food, clothing, furniture, or other items to make yourself feel safe.
- Health problems related to your insecurities. For example, you may experience extreme weight fluctuations due to your insecure feelings. These can turn into serious health problems, like obesity or anorexia.
- Health issues related to the lower half of your body. This may include your hips, legs, knees, and feet.
Sacral Chakra Imbalance
Let’s take a look at five ways an imbalance in the Sacral Chakra can affect you:
- Turn towards addictive substances. If you can’t find joy in everyday pleasures, you may seek out harmful substances, such as sex, gambling, drugs, alcohol, or money, to feel alive.
- Fear or distaste for sex. You may be afraid of sex or feel ashamed of exploring your sexual nature. While you are performing sexual acts, you may feel disinterested or unable to get aroused.
- Lacking creative energy. You no longer feel inspired or excited by the artistic pleasures of the world. If you once enjoyed painting, cooking, or another creative endeavor, you may lose interest in it.
- Experience reproductive issues. These may include the inability to get pregnant, menstrual problems, and more.
- Additional health issues. These commonly occur in the lower back, kidneys, stomach, or other regions surrounding Sacral Chakra.
Solar Plexus Chakra Imbalance
Here are some symptoms you should look out for to determine if your Solar Plexus Chakra isn’t functioning properly:
- Lack of confidence. Instead of feeling powerful and capable, you may feel powerless and insecure.
- No motivation. You don’t have the drive to go for your goals or try anything new.
- Trouble making decisions. Without the Solar Plexus Chakra guiding you, you may have a tough time making decisions. You may be choosing the wrong choice regularly.
- Digestive health problems. You may get frequent stomach aches or experience pain after you eat a meal.
Heart Chakra Imbalance
If your Heart Chakra is not functioning correctly, you may feel a host of emotional and physical symptoms. We’ve listed the most common ones below:
- Inability to love and be loved. You may have a hard time expressing your love for others. If someone tells you that they love you, you might not believe them.
- Inability to forgive. If someone hurts you, you may dwell on it and have a hard time letting it go. Additionally, if you have had an antagonistic relationship in the past, those old wounds may be reopened, preventing you from moving forward.
- Overly codependent and jealous. You might feel insecure in your relationship with your friends or significant other. This makes you too “clingy” and envious of others who receive their attention.
- Isolated from the ones you love. Sometimes, an unbalanced Heart Chakra makes you feel as though no one cares about you. This can cause you to withdraw from your friends and family since you don’t think your presence matters to them anyhow.
- Heart-related health problems. These may include high or low blood pressure, heart attack, stroke, heart disease, and more.
Throat Chakra Imbalance
An imbalanced Throat Chakra is often very noticeable, and it can manifest itself in several ways. Some of these ways are:
- Inability to communicate. You may feel as though the “cat got your tongue.” You might have trouble talking and sharing your ideas with others.
- Lack of creativity. You no longer feel inspired. Additionally, you don’t have the desire to share your creative passions with others.
- Trouble listening to others. You may be talking when you should be listening. Or, you could be judgemental of other people’s ideas, so you choose to speak over them instead of letting them share their thoughts.
- Pain near your throat chakra. This may include neck pain, shoulder pain, TMJ, cold sores in your mouth, and more.
Third Eye Chakra Imbalance
When your Third Eye Chakra is imbalanced, nothing in life will feel quite right. Here are some of the most common symptoms:
- Inability to self-reflect. You might go about your day to day life without thinking about your actions or thoughts. Instead, you may find yourself focusing on insignificant matters.
- Afraid of the unknown. You may fear death, the spiritual world, or other things that you don’t understand.
- Black or white thinking. You may start to see issues as simply good or bad rather than thinking about them more thoroughly.
- Hormone fluctuations. Your thyroid gland may be under or overproducing. This will harm your metabolism, making you feel distressed, both mentally and physically.
Crown Chakra Imbalance
An imbalanced Crown Chakra can manifest itself in several ways, including:
- Feeling disconnected from the universe. You no longer feel united with other people or the world around you. You may feel a profound sense of loneliness and even depression.
- Overly attached to spiritual matters. Instead of balancing the spiritual with the earthly, you spend all of your time thinking about otherworldly matters. This further disconnects you from others, making you more and more isolated.
- Being closed-minded. You may not be open to new ideas or new experiences. Sometimes, you may be closed off to specific groups of people that are different from you. Additionally, you may have a “me vs. them” mentality instead of a feeling of oneness.
Next, we’ll go over three methods you can use to rebalance your chakras. You may need to combine these methods to see results.
Realigning your chakras takes time, intention, and focus, so it’ll require some work for you to return your chakras to their highest functioning state. The process takes longer for some people than others, so don’t be discouraged if your chakras don’t heal right away.
Repeating affirmations is a great way to encourage chakra healing. By saying these statements, you break negative patterns and replace them with new, positive ones.
You should state affirmations related to the affected chakra. For example, if your heart chakra were unbalanced, you’d say statements related to love, compassion, and forgiveness. An example of an affirmation you could say is, “I love myself with my whole heart.”
For the best results, say these statements with intention. Repeat them multiple times per day to encourage the healing process.
Meditation is an effective way to rebalance your chakras energy. Before you get started, try to find a peaceful location where you can do your meditation for at least 30 minutes (or more if time allows).
Begin by sitting comfortably on the floor with your legs folded. If this hurts, you can sit on a cushion for support.
Try to hold your spine up so that it is aligned. Put your hands on your knees and begin to breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth.
Once you’ve found a place of stillness and calm, start to visualize energy running through your body, starting with your Root Chakra and rising through your Crown Chakra. As you imagine each chakra, also think about its associated color.
Remain on each chakra until you feel the energy start to move to the next one. Continue this process until the energy has flowed through your body, from your feet to your head.
Doing this will help you direct positive energy to your unbalanced chakras, thereby rebalancing them. While one meditation session may be enough, you may have to do multiple sessions before your chakras are fully healed.
Use Essential Oils
Essential oils have powerful healing properties that you can use to realign the chakras. You can diffuse the oil in the air, rub them on your skin, or massage them into your chakras to receive their healing effects. You can also use essential oils while meditating or performing another method on this list to increase your chakras healing further.
Each of the seven chakras is affected by different essential oils. You’ll want to use the oils that are most effective for the impacted chakra.
For example, the Throat Chakra responds positively to frankincense, ylang-ylang, spearmint, and peppermint, so you’d want to diffuse or rub these oils onto your throat chakra for the best results.
To learn which essential oils are best for each chakra, watch this informative video by Ivy & Light. In this video, the chakra healing expert goes over several oils and essential oil blends that can rebalance each of your chakras, returning them to their highest frequency state:
Chakras are energy centers in the body. They have a significant impact on your physical, mental, and emotional wellbeing.
While there are over 114 chakras in the body, there are seven main chakras that travel along the spine. These include the Root Chakra, Sacral Chakra, Solar Plexus Chakra, Heart Chakra, Throat Chakra, Third Eye Chakra, and the Crown Chakra.