The throat chakra is associated with open communication and self-expression. When it is blocked, you may have trouble interacting with others.
Experiencing mental or physical stressors related to poor communication or pain in the neck region of the body can cause a blocked throat chakra. To unblock the throat chakra, you should state affirmations, stretch the throat, and incorporate the color blue into your life.
Please keep reading to learn more about the throat chakra, what it does, and what happens when it gets blocked. We’ll also go over some methods you can use to rebalance your chakra if it gets out of whack.
The throat chakra is the fifth chakra in the body. It is located near the base of the throat. This chakra is connected with the tongue, jaw, mouth, pharynx, neck, and shoulders.
This chakra is all about communication. When your throat chakra is open, it permits you to communicate with others with ease. You’llYou’ll be able to speak your truth without fear of being ridiculed or judged. Everything you say will be genuine and true to who you are.
The throat chakra also plays a role in self-expression. When it’s open, you’ll accept the unique experiences and personality traits that make you, you. You’llYou’ll also feel creatively inspired to find your passion in life. Once you’ve found it, this chakra gives you the skills to share it with the world.
When your throat chakra is aligned, your throat, neck, and shoulders should all feel normal, free of any tension or pain. Your mouth and jaw should also feel relaxed, especially when you are interacting with others.
Once your throat chakra becomes blocked, you may feel a variety of mental and physical symptoms. We will discuss these in detail below.
There are several mental symptoms you may experience if your throat chakra isn’t functioning correctly. Some of the most common ones include:
- You are feeling afraid to express yourself. This may consist of not dressing, saying, or acting consistently with your true self. You may feel so scared of others’ judgment that you aren’t willing to expose who you are on the inside.
- You are having trouble listening to others. You may feel distracted while conversing with others or feel utterly disinterested in what they say. Friends, family, or coworkers may have told you that you seem oblivious or distant recently.
- You are frequently lying. This may entail being dishonest or holding back the truth. You may tell lies in an attempt to make others perceive you in a better light.
- You are ignoring your creative passion. Instead of pursuing your dreams and sharing them with others, you’ll do what’s comfortable and familiar. You’llYou’ll likely recognize that you aren’t following your passion, but you may feel too afraid or unmotivated to make a change.
When your throat chakra isn’t functioning correctly, you may feel pain or discomfort in your throat, mouth, neck, shoulders, or jaw. Below, we’ve listed the most common ailments people suffer from when their fifth chakra isn’t operating as it should. Remember, you should always seek medical help for any health-related issues:
- You have a raspy voice. Your voice will change and feel weaker. The raspiness will make it more challenging to communicate with others.
- You have a recurring sore throat. Your throat pain may be constant, or it may come and go. When it occurs, it’ll be very excruciating, making it difficult for you to talk.
- You have canker sores. These are small painful little bumps in your mouth. You’llYou’ll likely find them on your gums, inner lips, or even your tongue. Medical professionals commonly refer to them as mouth ulcers.
- You have gum disease. When this occurs, your gums will be red, painful, and swollen. This disease is very harmful and can lead to more severe issues if you don’t treat it.
- You have neck or shoulder pain. You’llYou’ll feel a lot of tension in these regions that is persistent and doesn’t go away.
What Causes a Blocked Throat Chakra?
According to yoga teacher and Reiki healer Guadalupe Terrones, chakras can become blocked if you experience a high amount of mental or physical stress. These stressors are likely related to communication, self-expression, or injury to the throat chakra’s physical region.
Some everyday stressors that lead to blocks in the throat chakra include lousy neck and shoulder posture, eating a poor diet, participating in harmful behaviors (like gossiping or being dishonest), using your communication skills for damaging purposes, and more.
Next, we’ll delve into three different ways you can clear your throat chakra to return it to its highest functioning state. We recommend trying more than one of these techniques for the best results. Continue to perform these methods until your throat chakra is cleared.
Affirmations are powerful statements that influence the subconscious. By stating affirmations related to speech and self-expression, you can rid yourself of negative communication patterns, replacing them with positive new ones.
Below, we’ve listed five affirmations you can try today. If these affirmations don’t resonate with you, come up with your own. Try to say these statements multiple times per day to increase their effectiveness:
- I can communicate freely and with ease.
- I am genuine and authentic.
- I am not afraid to speak my mind.
- I care about what others have to say.
- I follow my passions and dreams.
Stretch Out Your Neck
If your throat region is tight, try stretching it out to release the tension. This may help remove any blocks in your energy, permitting your throat chakra to return to normal.
One uncomplicated stretch you can perform is the throat opening stretch. This stretch is effortless and only requires a moment of your time to complete. Follow the steps below to perform this stretch:
- Press your chin downwards towards your chest.
- Drop your head over your left shoulder. Try to keep your shoulders relaxed. Your left ear should be pressing down towards your left shoulder. Please do not force it, only go as far as it feels comfortable. You should feel a nice stretch on the right side of your neck.
- Hold this stretch for 30 seconds.
- Repeat these steps on the other side.
Another way you can stretch out your neck is through yoga. You can try a variety of different postures that target the neck and shoulder region. Some of the most popular throat chakra poses include:
- Camel pose
- Cat-cow pose
- Plow pose
- Fish pose
Incorporate the Color Blue Into Your Daily Life
The throat chakra is represented by the color blue. Therefore, adding more blue into your life can help rebalance its energy and remove unwanted blocks.
One of the best ways to do this is by acquiring blue minerals and crystals. These hold a lot of energy inside them, so they are very effective at returning chakras to their highest frequency state. If you want to keep the crystal on you at all times, try adding it to a necklace or bracelet.
Some of the most effective stones include:
- Turquoise helps you to express your ideas to others.
- Amazonite promotes emotional stability and guards you against negative feelings.
- Lapis Lazuli supports open communication and encourages creative expression.
- Aquamarine permits you to be honest and to share your emotions freely.
Experiencing communication or throat-related stressors in your life can block your throat chakra. Once it’s blocked, you may have trouble interacting with others or expressing yourself. To fix this, try stating affirmations, stretching out your neck, and incorporating the color blue into your life. These techniques will help you restore your throat chakra to its highest functioning.