During Reiki, your body and mind undergo an energy cleansing process that can affect you for days or weeks after each session. These effects, while sometimes uncomfortable, encourage healing, ultimately helping you achieve balance.
Some of the after-effects of Reiki include very low or high energy levels, a greater awareness of your emotions, feeling physical symptoms due to a phenomenon called the “healing crisis,” greater activity in the parasympathetic system, and a heightened sense of smell, touch, hearing, and taste.
This article will go over several of the most common after-effects of Reiki. Then, we’ll inform you of some actions you can take after your Reiki session to encourage healing.
Many people report feeling drowsy, tired, or lethargic after a Reiki session. This is to be expected since the energy cleansing process takes a toll on your body, which can be draining.
Sometimes, you may also experience tiredness after Reiki because you are overactive in life and need to slow down. Your fatigued state may be a sign that you are stretching yourself too thin and need to take some time to practice self-care.
On the flip side, you may feel strangely energized after Reiki. If your energy was previously stagnating and not being used, your Reiki healer may release it during your session. During this time of increased stimulation, you should use your newfound energy in constructive ways. Perhaps you could do something creative, complete some items on your to-do list, or go for a walk in nature.
Your fluctuating energy levels can also temporarily impact your sleeping habits. You may feel the need to sleep in for longer to relieve some of your fatigue, or you may wake up at an earlier hour than usual due to your increased energy.
Go with the flow and do what feels right for your body on the days following your Reiki session. As your energy purifies itself, your natural sleeping rhythm should return to normal.
Sometimes, Reiki can awaken your emotions. Once your session is over, you may feel a wide range of emotions, including:
- Sadness or profound feelings of grief
- Anger or frustration
- Depression and loneliness
- Intense joy
- The urge to yell or cry
- The desire to laugh
These intense emotions may make you feel frustrated and confused because you do not understand where they are coming from. However, these seemingly random emotions do arise from somewhere.
Typically, they are brought about by traumatic events or repressed memories that create toxins in your body. These toxins imprint on your cellular memory. Eventually, they are stored within your energy system, where they will continue to build up over time.
While enduring these past emotions may feel distressing and pointless, permitting yourself to experience them is crucial for the healing process. Once you can examine the repressed emotions, accept them, and release them, it’ll allow your spirit to heal fully.
If you experience intense emotions after a Reiki session, attempt to acknowledge them without dwelling on them. Try not to be judgemental. Instead, accept the feelings as a part of yourself and your past. Let them pass through your mind until they leave your consciousness, permitting you to let them go for good.
After Reiki, you may experience sensations throughout your body as it releases various physical, emotional, and mental “toxins” that have built up over time. This process of restoring your body to its pure state is often referred to as the “healing crisis.”
During this time, you may experience symptoms of past illnesses and injuries. Feeling these symptoms is healthy for your body since it permits it to work through these old traumas to finally achieve true healing.
The healing crisis is different for everyone, and it can manifest itself in a variety of ways. Some people may not feel sick at all, solely experiencing a gentle feeling of cleansing. Others may experience more severe symptoms. These ailments can be uncomfortable, sometimes lasting for hours or days after the Reiki session.
Some of the most common symptoms experienced during a healing crisis include:
- Flu-like symptoms, including fever, sore throat, headache, nausea, and cough
- Irregular bowel movements such as diarrhea, frequent urination, or constipation
- A tingling sensation through your limbs and trunk
- Aching joints and muscles, which may be concentrated in a specific location or change to different areas as the healing crisis progresses
- Feeling hot or cold waves in various parts of your body
Many people report feeling extremely calm and relaxed after a Reiki session. Some researchers believe this is due to changes occurring in the autonomic nervous system. This system includes the parasympathetic nervous system and the sympathetic nervous system, which have opposite effects on your body.
The sympathetic nervous system is responsible for your “fight or flight” reaction. It increases your heart rate and blood pressure and gets you ready to deal with potential dangers. On the other hand, the parasympathetic system decreases your blood pressure and heart rate, thereby calming you down.
Reiki is effective at activating the parasympathetic nervous system, allowing for greater relaxation. When this system is activated, it also allows your body to digest food, release toxins, and heal, which may be another reason why Reiki encourages the healing process.
After Reiki, you may notice that your senses are heightened. Some people feel, taste, hear, and see things in a new light. Food and drink may taste differently than before, or you may be able to discern subtle flavors. Everyday items may look more vibrant.
Additionally, you might be aware of sights and sounds that would have gone unnoticed before your energy healing session.
Listed below are five ways to take care of your mind and body after going through a Reiki healing session. Doing these items will help encourage the healing process by restoring your energy to its ideal state:
- Drink a lot of water. For the best results, drink at least six to eight glasses of water each day.
- Eat nourishing foods. Eating a poor diet can add toxins to your body. Try to eat foods that make you feel good, and that will encourage your healing. Light foods are recommended over more decadent meals.
- Reflect on what you are feeling and experiencing. Give yourself time after each Reiki session to focus on the new emotions and physical sensations you are feeling. If possible, don’t schedule any meetings or events following your session. Instead, give yourself ample time to process the experience.
- Try nurturing activities. After your session, try to do wholesome activities such as walking outside in nature, taking a bath, writing in a journal, or meditating. These kinds of activities will encourage healing and will provide you with greater clarity.
- Think about what you should add, change, or remove from your life. Your healer may offer you specific insights regarding items you should adjust in your life during your Reiki session. Ponder these things and determine what changes you plan to implement.
There are five common after-effects experienced after a Reiki session. These include:
- Fluctuating energy levels ranging from extreme fatigue to overwhelming energy
- Greater awareness of your emotions
- Physical sensations throughout the body ranging from mild to flu-like symptoms
- Feeling relaxed due to increased parasympathetic nervous system functioning
- A heightened sense of smell, touch, hearing, and taste
Don’t let this scare you away from getting reiki! The good almost always outweighs any temporary bad feelings you may experience immediately after a reiki session.