If you have begun looking into different divinatory arts, you have probably come across both the studies of numerology and astrology, their relation to the world, and its influence on people. As a result, you may find yourself wondering which of the two are more accurate at doing this.
Astrology is more accurate when planning your future, even though numerology and astrology are similar and can provide meaningful insights about who you are and who you were meant to be. Also, astrology is based on something that cannot be influenced by people.
If you are curious about what numerology and astrology can do for you, how they work, and why one tends to be more accurate than the other, you should keep reading this article below.
Numerology is the practice of using one of the universe’s most basic elements, which are numbers, in a way that allows people to uncover more about the world, their lives, and their personality. It is a type of divinatory art, where people believe in the idea that words, names, and ideas mean something more based on the numerical connection they hold. Are you always this cheeky?
However, many people believe that numerology is simply just a superstition or pseudoscience and that numbers cannot be used to predict things about people. However, this may be up to you to decide.
Keep reading below to find out more about numerology and uncover a bit about your name, the numerical connections the letters in your name have to say about your life, and who you are.
How Does Numerology Work?
In some cases, the calculations that go into a numerology reading can be quite difficult to understand. You can still calculate your life path number, soul urge number, self-expression number, and personality number very easily.
This is done by analyzing your full name, where each letter of the alphabet has a distinct number associated with it. Through a specific calculation (relative to each number you are calculating), you can find out all of the different numbers mentioned above.
Calculating Your Life Path Number
The most popular and significant number to calculate in numerology is your life path number, as it reveals, as the name states, the path that your life could be on. As it reveals to you information about who you are, as well as the opportunities that could be presented to you and challenges that you may face throughout your life.
Each life path number means something different, and there are 12 different possible life path numbers, which are:
To calculate your life path number, you will add up all of the numbers in your date of birth, including the month, day, and year you were born.
For example, if your birthday were March 28th, 1995, you would break it apart first by month and day, so:
3 (March) + 28 = 31
Then you will add together all of the numbers that are within the year you were born:
1 + 9 + 9 + 5 = 24
Then you will add both of these numbers together, which adds up to:
31 + 24 = 55
Then you will keep adding the numbers together until you get to a single digit, with the only exception being if it is a master number (11 or 22), in which the details of master numbers are listed in the next section.
55 = 5 + 5 = 10
10 = 1 + 0 = 1
In this case, for someone born on March 28th, 1995, their life path number would be a 1.
The Meaning of Life Path Numbers
While there is plenty to be said about each life path number, here are a few key aspects of each life path number. Remember, this reveals a lot about who you are, the life you are living and touches both on the positive and negative sides.
- 1 – Creative and very dedicated individuals; however, they may be too dependent on what others think about them.
- 2 – Genuine, sensitive, and honest people who focus too strongly on the negative occurrences in life and do not handle criticism well.
- 3 – Very social and optimistic people who typically look at the positive side of things. However, this may make them come off as disrespectful or as having a lack of commitment.
- 4 – Practical and determined individuals who know what they want and exactly how they will get it; nonetheless, this may make them miss out on amazing opportunities when they come.
- 5 – They are open-minded and go wherever the wind blows type of people who are very much living in the present. However, the tendency to indulge in things and look for instant gratification can result in poor outcomes.
- 6 – Very compassionate, generous, and loving individuals who may also be so focused on giving to others that they struggle to find time to do things for themselves.
- 7 – A peaceful and reflective individual that can be considered to be very balanced; however, they may find it difficult to appreciate what they have.
- 8 – Strongly determined, thoughtful, and focused people, which makes them great organizers. However, they may also be too practical and do not find the time to dream about possibilities in life.
- 9 – Respectful, fair, and honorable people that are also very caring when it comes to others. However, this may mean that it is normal for them to keep their guard up at times.
Now, we will talk about the master numbers, which are 11 and 22. These master numbers are the most powerful numbers both in good and bad ways, making it bittersweet to have one of these life path numbers but, if you make it through the hardships, it can mean incredible potential for you in your life.
People with either of these numbers may mean that they do not realize their potential until later on in life. However, through perseverance, the reward they receive can be life-changing.
They also represent something in other numbers, not just the life path, but here is a little info on what they represent when they appear as your life path number:
- 11 – They appear to be very knowledgeable and insightful and most likely have big dreams and ideas to offer the world. However, they may be prone to mood swings and have difficulty recognizing what they have due to a harsh inner critic.
- 22 – One of the most powerful numbers that suggest you can play a large role in influencing a better world as they are very rational individuals. However, these people may be overbearing or fail to acknowledge the skills they possess.
It should also be noted that in some cases, the number 33 is considered a master number but some people leave it out.
The Other Numbers in Numerology
If you are interested in knowing more about the other numbers you can calculate and analyze with numerology, here is a bit more about each of them and how they are calculated:
- Self Expression Number. This uncovers abilities or traits that you have, as well as your desires and personal goals. Telling you all about who you are and what you want to do in this world—calculated by converting all the letters in your full name into numbers based on Pythagorean numerology Adding them all together and reducing it to a single digit or master number.
- The Personality Number. This tells you about who you are to other people and how they see you. Sometimes you do not let others see a certain side to you, and you aren’t even aware of it. So, this number can help you uncover some deeper insights on your inner self, calculated using the correlating numbers above for only the consonants in your full name, adding them all together and reducing to a single digit or master number.
- The Soul Urge Number or Hearts Desire Number. It shows you a reflection of who your true self is deep down. This number typically reveals things you may not have even noticed were true and can help people decide what it is they need to change in their life. The calculation is the same as the personality number, except done using only the vowels in your full name.
- Your Birthday Number. This number is based on the day you were born and helps you figure out your life’s true purpose as it reveals the gifts and talents that you possess. This is calculated using the date and year that you were born.
Astrology is the study of the celestial bodies and the correlation of their positions with the events and people on earth. Astrologers believe that when a person is born, their character and who they are both in life and personality-wise are influenced by the position of the sun, the moon, and other planets at their time of birth.
You are probably most familiar with the sun sign, which is the typical sign you would use to see your horoscope or tell people when they ask what your zodiac sign is.
The sun sign tells you all about your identity and what you put out into the world, as it helps you understand who you are and how you express yourself. You can also reveal your Moon sign from astrology, which tells you all about who you really are in your soul and what is hidden behind the identity you show people. This includes what makes you feel good, what makes you hurt, and how you care for yourself.
There are plenty of other things you can tell based on the positions of planets at the date, time, and place of your birth, typically given in the form of a birth chart, which can tell you all about each facet of your life, overall helping you uncover:
- Who you are in a social setting
- How you communicate with others
- All aspects of who you are on the surface and deep down
- The best types of careers for you
- What you love and what you hate
- How you love other people
- What makes you mad or tick
- How you make decisions in life
Astrology also correlates with the present day, as the positions of the planets (such as when they are in retrograde) can impact the current emotions we are feeling and influence our day-to-day lives.
The Meaning of the Sun Signs
While it is better to look at your entire birth chart to fully understand you and the life you are meant to be living, the sun sign is the easiest and the most common sign to calculate.
Nonetheless, some other signs may be more revealing or insightful about who you really are. Remember, the sun sign is mostly your identity and what you express to the world.
If you are curious about finding out your sun sign, it is solely based on the day you were born, and can find it through a quick google search. If you are curious to test out the accuracy of this aspect of astrology for yourself, here is a little bit about each sun sign:
- Aries. Brave, direct, and independent people who may be a little pushy or selfish at times.
- Leo. Brave leaders who are fun and warm but may be too egotistical, controlling, or potentially stubborn.
- Cancer. Nurturing, supportive and loving people with a tendency to be too dependent or moody.
- Pisces. Very intuitive, creative, and sensitive individuals who may be unrealistic at times and tend to be self-critical and codependent.
- Scorpio. Very passionate and driven people with strong emotions who may be prone to jealousy or clinginess.
- Taurus. Driven, patient and trusting people who can be too materialistic or resistant to change in their lives.
- Sagittarius. Ambitious, open-minded, and optimistic people who may be lazy or irresponsible at times.
- Gemini. Intelligent and adaptable people who are very talkative and potentially deceptive or superficial.
- Virgo. Modest, humble, and responsible individuals who tend to be obsessive or perfectionists.
- Libra. Charming, easy-going, and harmonious people who may be indecisive or passive-aggressive at times.
- Capricorn. Very driven, patient, and responsible people who tend to be pessimistic or too rigid.
- Aquarius. Intelligent, friendly, and inventive people with the potential to be too emotionally detached or irresponsible.
While you can argue that numerology and astrology are accurate, astrology tends to be more accurate in predicting your future. It allows you to see an entire scope that encompasses every aspect of who you are.
Whereas numerology is more restricted at telling you specifics about your social life, romantic life, sex life, career choices, astrology can get quite specific when it comes to this stuff. In fact, you can even use it to see if finding love will be easy in your life or not.
Additionally, astrology is something that is set and stone and unable to be influenced by human interaction. In contrast, numerology relies very strongly on people’s names, which can be changed throughout one’s life. Nonetheless, both astrology and numerology are tools that can be used to help understand how the human psyche works.
All in all, both of them rely on mathematics, and it is hard to argue with mathematics. Where astrology is based on planetary positions relative to where you were when you were born, numerology uses mathematical calculations to understand the numerical blueprint that has influenced your life. So, when it comes to determining which is more accurate, it honestly may just come down to which one resonates with you more.
Why Using Both Are Better
Using both numerology and astrology together can provide you with more insights and a deeper understanding of who you are. As the combination of the two provides you with a broader and more in-depth understanding of who you are deep down, what your personality is, what place in this world was meant for you, and the path you are on in life.
You will most likely realize that the insights you gain from your astrological birth chart are very similar to the insights provided from your numbers you find within your numerical blueprint.
While both numerology and astrology are divinatory tools to help you better understand who you are and who you were meant to be, astrology seems to be more accurate in terms of helpfulness for planning for your future.
It can also be deemed more accurate based on the fact that it is based on something that cannot be influenced by human interaction and is set in stone. Whereas you can use numerology in your favor to name your kids or help you find your lucky number.
All in all, it comes down to what you think. So, go ahead and look into your astrological birth chart and read all about who you really are, then read all about the numeric blueprint that has influenced your personality. Through this, you will easily find out which is more accurate for you, based on which one resonates more.